Connecting Environment, Economy, and Community
We are an equal opportunity employer and understand the value of having a team with a diversity of experiences and perspectives to optimize our potential for compassion, collaboration, creativity, and excellence in service. We encourage people from all backgrounds and perspectives to apply!
Green Stewards Crew Member
As a Member of the Green Stewards team, you will develop the skills to clean and maintain KCMO’s rain gardens, detention ponds and stormwater basins, also known as green infrastructure. Cities around the world are using these strategies to absorb stormwater and prevent flooding. As part of this workforce development program, crew members receive training and support to become nationally certified in Green Infrastructure.
New hires will work in the Green Stewards Program for an average of 18 months, after which you will be assisted in applying for permanent positions at the City’s Water or Parks departments, in landscaping or related industry, at a non-profit, or elsewhere.
Green Stewards Crew Member Job Description
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide landscape maintenance including raking, mulching, removal of litter and leaf debris, non-chemical weed and pest control, trimming and pruning, inspecting for and replacing dead plants
- Inspect and maintain proper flow and drainage of green infrastructure installations by removing silt and filling rills caused by erosion
- Attend NGICP Training
- Attend additional training for career development
- Follow all safety protocols and alert Green Steward Crew Leader to unaddressed/new safety issues
- Participate in collecting data on sites using an I-pad/Tablet application
- Participate in BTG all staff events and meetings as required
- Assist in tool maintenance and the loading and unloading tools and supplies
- Participants with appropriate driver’s license and driving record may be asked to drive the van or truck
- Represent BTG and maintain positive interactions with the public and project partners
- Be a supportive member of the crew by being considerate and helpful
- Other job-related duties as requested and subject to reasonable accommodation.
- Capable of regular and on-time attendance, five days per week
- Able to do diligent physical work all day and move 50-pound bags from the ground to a height of 3 feet.
- Willingness to learn about stormwater management, native plants, drainage and “green infrastructure”
- Must be a resident of Kansas City, Missouri
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be able to speak and read English
- All candidates will be subject to a background check and pre-employment drug screening within compliance with applicable local, state and federal law
- Working in extremes of heat, cold and rain
- Heavy lifting, bending, and moving up to 50 lbs from the ground to a trailer and along the ground
- Very uneven terrain
Salary & Benefits
Benefits include 90% of health, dental and vision insurance, and, 100% disability and life insurance, 2 weeks of paid vacation, paid holiday between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Starting pay: $12/hour
Green Business Solutions Internship – Fall 2020
Please click here to check out our volunteer opportunities.