Our affiliated organization, Shadowcliff, located in Grand Lake, Colorado has the following job opening:
SHADOWCLIFF POSITION DESCRIPTION: Seasonal Chef
JOB TITLE: Compassionate Kitchen Chef
REPORTS TO: General Manager
STATUS: This is a full-time seasonal position requiring an on-site commitment from mid/late May through October 1.
The primary purpose and function of this position is to run the Compassionate Kitchen at Shadowcliff Mountain Lodge, a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, in a manner consistent with our principles of sustainability and hospitality while upholding the mission of “an eco-friendly mountain sanctuary where together we are creating a climate for a restorative world.”
I. Prepare a healthful, delicious buffet breakfast, lunch, and dinner to groups of 15-50 persons and staff. The chef must be present during hot breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and should plan cold breakfast buffets to be served by Rotating Staff.
II. Operate kitchen functions with a minimization of waste.
III. Plan menus that make best use of seasonal and local foods, provide meat on average once every other day unless specifically requested otherwise, and accommodate reasonable special food needs of guests and staff.
IV. Work with vendors and suppliers in food purchasing, giving priority to local, organic, and regional choices.
V. Train and direct rotating kitchen assistants in meal preparation and cleaning assistance.
VI. Help guests understand our Compassionate Kitchen philosophy and its integration as part of the mission of Shadowcliff.
VII. Reside on premises and be physically able to adjust to altitude and the physical nature of many stairs and a rocky mountain terrain.
VIII. Open the kitchen in May and lead the closing of the kitchen at the end of the season. Both of these tasks may be done with Rotating Staff and/or volunteers.
Knowledge and Background Requirements
● Past experience in food service work with cooking experience in a variety of styles.
● A professional attitude, appearance, and ability to work effectively with a diversified group of staff, volunteers, and guests.
● Good communication skills and a positive attitude in the kitchen.
● Willingness to work with, and ideally grow, our Compassionate Kitchen guidelines.
● Ability to honor Shadowcliff’s core policies, including the no smoking policy.
● Background check required.
Assigned Rotating Staff assistant, beginning and end of season volunteers
Critical Job Elements
● Extended work hours sometimes required.
● Ability to perform essential functions satisfactorily.
● Valid driver’s license is not required but considered beneficial.
● Familiarity with cooking whole food, nutrient dense, delicious meals.
● An understanding of our Compassionate Kitchen Principles, a desire to implement them.
● The ideal candidate will posses a foundation of knowledge that will deepen and grow the Compassionate Kitchen in a positive way consistent with Shadowcliff’s mission.
● Days off will be given in between food groups. Extended periods of such time will require preparing a certain number of meals for staff, to be coordinated with management.
● Food ordering should take into account both ingredients for group meals and additional items for staff to prepare for themselves.
The Shadowcliff Compassionate Kitchen Chef will be compensated with a private room, board, a seasonal salary of $6,000, sharing in the seasonal gratuities, and a discretionary end of season bonus. Limited cell phone reimbursement with approval and computer access available.
How to Apply
Send resume to Carl@shadowcliff.org