Memorial Day weekend is the perfect opportunity to experiment with fun desserts! Try this vegan fruit pizza for a spin on the traditional one. Of course, if you’re unsure your guests will try it, you can substitute the tofu/cashew sauce with cream cheese and the vegan brownie with a boxed brownie mix.
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup hard tofu
¼ cup cashews
1 cup + 2 tbsp water
2 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
2-1/3 cups sugar
1 tsp + 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries, sliced lengthwise
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup fresh raspberries
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom of a 12-inch pizza pan with vegetable shortening or cooking spray.
2. In medium bowl, stir together 2 cups flour, 2 cups sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and 1 tsp salt. Pour in 1 cup water, vegetable oil and 1 tsp vanilla; mix until well blended. Spread in pan.
3. Bake 17-20 minutes or until the top is no longer shiny. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
4. Meanwhile, in a blender, add tofu, cashews, 2 tbsp water, 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper. Blend until smooth and thick. Add 1/3 cup sugar and ½ tsp vanilla and beat until blended. Chill in refrigerator.
5. Spread tofu mixture evenly over brownie base. Arrange berries over cream cheese mixture. Refrigerate about 1 hour or until chilled. Cut into wedges. Store covered in refrigerator.